[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] 0aa655: Replace fsync by FlushFileBuffers for MSVC

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 22:32:41 UTC 2016

> > On 24-07-2016, at 2:10 PM, Nicolas Cellier <
> nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Tim,
> > I replicated this discussion as github comment
> >
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/0aa65563f90b6f8f83a8126e37647bca4fda2ba5
> > because I feel like it's closer to the source code than this list.
> > However, since the comments are not reported here, I wonder what is the
> most efficient... (less eyes?).
> >
> > Since the windows version is optional (subject to -DWIN32_FILE_SUPPORT),
> maybe we can keep my change.
> > On the other hand, the duplication sounds strange...
> > Having this compiler def. mandatory for MSVC would not hurt me.
>
> I’m pretty sure that what happened was Andreas got annoyed enough at
> trying to make the unixy basic code work for Windows that he simply said to
> hell with it and split it out. In many ways I wish we’d all done that and
> realised that we need a much better set of file accessing code.

Andreas probably tried to get unixy compile with MSVC 5 or 6. Maybe it was
hard at that time.
Now it's possible with a few StackOverflow queries and a few macros.
This way, I've reverted those changes and moved everything in
sqPlatformSpecific.h
I can define WIN32_FILE_SUPPORT or not, without polluting Cross/plugins.