[Vm-dev] Frequency of stores into young objects

Javier Pimás elpochodelagente at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 20:24:58 UTC 2016

The garbage collection handbook has many references to statistics of
pointers in the heap. In particular, Gen GC chapter - Pointer Direction
(p125) says:

"[...] Many pointer writes are initialising stores to newly created objects
- Zorn[1990] estimated that 90% to 95% of lisp pointer stores were
initialising (and that of the remaining non-initialising stores two-thirds
were to objects in the young generation) [...]"

so (if this also applies to Smalltalk) ~98% makes sense (90%+6,666%)

I guess the cited paper is this one:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.52.8857

cheers,
pocho