[Vm-dev] Re: win32 vm status

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Wed Jul 27 23:38:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 1:36 AM, Nicolas Cellier

>> Hi,
>> I merged the changes from Tobias too fast...
>> Despite the efforts, the win32 VM produced from HEAD are currently not usable when compiled thru cygwin/mingw
>> I don't get a better health thru MSVC
>>
>> The last functional VM I get (both win32 squeak.cog.spur and win64 squeak.stack.spur) are from
>> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/43dca8fe50b7cc70901f4138d3fed60a6734a66f
>>
>> This prevents me to focus on the VMaker LLP64 changes.
>> Maybe we'll have to revert... Thoughts?
>>
>> Nicolas
>

> follow up: more than 20 commits after the merge, we did not yet recover win32 health.
> win32 squeak.stack.spur segfaults with no usefull clue

> $ builddbg/vm/Squeak ../../image/trunk50.image
> Segmentation fault
>
> $ gdb builddbg/vm/Squeak
> GNU gdb (GDB) (Cygwin 7.10.1-1) 7.10.1
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-pc-cygwin".
> Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
> Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
> For help, type "help".
> Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
> Reading symbols from builddbg/vm/Squeak...done.
> (gdb) run ../../image/trunk50.image
> Starting program: /cygdrive/C/Users/cellier/Documents/Smalltalk/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/build.win32x86/squeak.stack.spur/builddbg/vm/Squeak ../../image/trunk50.image
> [New Thread 33724.0xf038]
> warning: `/cygdrive/c/windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll': Shared library architecture i386:x86-64 is not compatible with target architecture i386.

Probably incidental to the problem, but it seems its best to use 32bit
gdb on 32bit programs.  Maybe good to minimize interference.
http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/2015/10/04/32bit-64bit-gdb-collision/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12205256/gdb-failing-in-eclipse

cheers -ben