[Vm-dev] Exploring the simulator (was Re: REPL image for simulation)

Clément Bera bera.clement at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 18:16:05 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 7:36 PM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi again,
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Ben,
> >>
> >> I'm glad you're now looking into the JIT. If you have some blog or
> something, please write an experience report about you looking into the
> simulator. It's helpful for us to have noise around the VM.
>
> Cool. I'll have a go.

> >> Errr... I don't really fancy the way you say it but I think yes that's
> it.
> >>
> >> A method can have 2 addresses, the address of the bytecoded version in
> the heap and the address of its jitted version in the machine code zone. In
> the machine code frame printing, the simulator displays the 2 addresses.
> But the frame has a single pointer to the method.
> >>
> >> So what you're looking at is the dispatch logic from the bytecoded
> method to the jitted method. When the JIT compiles a bytecoded method to
> machine code, it replaces the bytecoded method compiled method header
> (first literal) by a pointer to the jitted version. The machine code
> version of the method keeps the  compiled method header, so accessing it is
> different in methods compiled to machine code and methods not compiled to
> machine code.
> >>
> >> #rawHeaderOf: answers the first literal of the bytecoded method which
> is a pointer to the jitted version of the method if the method has a jitted
> version, else is the compiled method header. In the code you show, the VM
> ensures the method has a jitted version with the assertion, hence the
> compiled method header is fetched from the jitted version.
>
> I think I've got it. So upon JITing, CompiledMethod and its literals
> and bytecodes don't move.
> Only its bytecodeHeader is manipulated and re-purposed.
>
> Before JIT...
> compiledMethod := { bytecodeHeader, literals, bytecodes }.
> byteCodeHeader := compiledMethod at: 1
>
> After JIT something like...
> cogMethod := { cogMethodHeader, bytecodeHeader, machineCode }
> compiledMethod := { pointerTo_cogMethod, literals, bytecodes }.
> rawHeader := compiledMethod at: 1
> cogMethodHeader := dereferenced(rawHeader) at: 1.
>

> I guess we could say that.

A compiled method is more like, before JIT:
object's header (64 bits)
compiled method header (1 word)
literals (several words)
bytecodes (several bytes)
compiled method trailer (several bytes)

After jitting, the compiled method header is replaced by a pointer to the
cog method.

The cog method has (assuming it has no blocks):
- header
- native instructions
- map

and the cog method header includes the compiled method header.

> in this line:
> CompiledMethod.
> [disassembleMethod/trampoline...] and write down the hex to see the
> disassembly.
> method. You can print it using [print oop...]

> CompiledMethod

> newProcess

> asContext

> >> Yeah it's the jitted version of the method header address, then <->,
> then the jitted method entry point address, the bytecode version address,
> selector address.
> >>
> >> The cogMethod header is used to store the bytecoded compiled method
> header (because it was replaced with a pointer to the cogMethod) and
> various flags.

> 16r0088D618

> confirm...
> BlockClosure>>forkAt:
> >>
> >> 16r6CC798 is the address of the selector #forkAt:
>
> Sorry I wasn't clear.  I wasn't referring to the address itself of the
> selector - that was just a line reference.  My insight I wanted to
> confirm was that the last oop before the bytecode was...
>      a ClassBinding #BlockClosure -> 16r0088D618
> and the next last before that was...
>     #forkAt:   16rAE5490
> indicating the output of [print oop...] was method BlockClosure>>forkAt: ,
> while above that line are the methods called by #forkAt: and below it
> is the bytecode.
>
> Ahhh, actually I just saw this relevant comment in CompiledMethod...
> "The last literal in a CompiledMethod must be its
> methodClassAssociation, a binding whose value is the class the method
> is installed in.  The methodClassAssociation is used to implement
> super sends.  If a method contains no super send then its
> methodClassAssociation may be nil (as would be the case for example of
> methods providing a pool of inst var accessors). By convention the
> penultimate literal of a method is either its selector or an instance
> of AdditionalMethodState. "
>
> So it seems it won't always show the Class>>method, but often will.

Well...

By convention the bytecode compiler always put the class binding as the
last literal except if there is not enough room in the literal frame, which
in practice happens on average 1 methods out of 100.000 in my experience,
and which will never happen once we've switched to the new bytecode set...

But if the method has no super sends, it does not need the class as the
last literal, and one could compile an image like that to save some memory.
If one removes both the selector (last but one literal) and the class
binding, one could save 150kb in the base Pharo image out of ~47Mb.
Currently there is no setting to do that, but one could do it.

> [...]
> in the background architecture.  This comment comparing
> trampoline/enilopmart to system-call-like transition was
> enlightening...
>
> /*      An enilopmart (the reverse of a trampoline) is a piece of code
> that makes
>         the system-call-like transition from the C runtime into
> generated machine
>         code. The desired arguments and entry-point are pushed on a
> stackPage's
>         stack. The enilopmart pops off the values to be loaded into
> registers and
>         then executes a return instruction to pop off the entry-point
> and jump to
>         it.
>         BEFORE                          AFTER
> (stacks grow down)
>         whatever                        stackPointer -> whatever
>         target address =>       reg1 = reg1val, etc
>         reg1val                         pc = target address
>         reg2val
>         stackPointer -> reg3val */
>
>         /* Cogit>>#genEnilopmartFor:and:and:forCall:called: */
>

> > In simulation, the C code is simulated by executing Slang as Smalltalk
> code and the machine code is simulated using the processor simulator (Bochs
> for IA32). So it has to be done differently as there is no C stack with
> register state and stuff. Both trampolines and enilmoparts are simulated
> with specific code.

> BochsIA32Alien>>primitiveSingleStepInMemory:minimumAddress:readOnlyBelow:

> > No the machine code is always simulated. Bochs was working for sure if
> you successfully simulated the image on top of the cog simulator until the
> display was shown.
> >
> > If you have a VM from one of Eliot's build (from the Cog blog) the
> processor simulators are present as plugins by default. On Mac you can do
> [show package contents...] and then look at the file inside to check the
> Bochs Plugin is there. It's not the case on the Pharo VMs so don't use them
> for CogVM simulation. You don't need to install anything.
>
> Ahhh... I see them now.
> ./lib/squeak/5.0-3692/BochsX64Plugin
> ./lib/squeak/5.0-3692/BochsIA32Plugin
>
> The clears my misconception - a lack of understanding the purpose of
> the primitive failure and a red herring when I saw the Boch's system
> package wasn't installed.
>

> > On normal simulation the simulator goes often in the branch you've just
> shown. It means it reached a simulation trap. As for enilmopart that can't
> be properly simulated, trampolines can't be simulated. So to simulate a
> trampoline the processor simulator fails a call and the trampoline is done
> in the simulation code. Look at #handleCallOrJumpSimulationTrap: for
> example.
>
> Ah, so its an 'inappropriate operation' from Bochs' perspective, but
> from the Simulator's perspective the primitiveFail is a useful
> condition like the #ensure: "Primitive 198 always fails.  The VM uses
> prim 198 in a context's method as the mark for an ensure:/ifCurtailed:

Err... I think it's a bit different.

The processor simulator keeps running machine code until it traps, in which
case the simulation figures out why it traps, and likely it trapped because
it needed to switch from machine code to C code hence to the Smalltalk
runtime in simulation. The normal behavior is that most of the time
processor simulator primitives succeed, sometimes they fail. Primitive 198
and 199 always fail.

If you want to try you can alternatively use the MIPS back-end to simulate
machine code which is done fully in Smalltalk instead of Bochs. The
back-ends for x86, x64 and ARM are simulated using external processor
simulator frameworks, while the MIPS simulator is written entirely in
Smalltalk. The settings to use MIPS is (ISA MIPSEL). Don't hesitate to use
other back-ends, it's fun, (IA32 X64 ARMv5 MIPSEL) settings.

> cheers -ben
>
> btw, I bumped into a bit of history...
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/2008/12/12/simulate-out-of-the-bochs/

Yeah this is a good post.