[Vm-dev] CogVM Execution Flow

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 17:52:43 UTC 2016

Hi Ben,

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:

> Some other possible hints of transitions between structures is that
> only some methods have pragmas?? (Like <var: #cogMethod type:.....)

Unrelated.  These pragmas merely confer C types in variables when
Smalltalk/Slang is translated to C.

> Only some methods are marked for <inline>.

Right.  Some methods must be inlined, some are inlined automatically.  It's
a bit chaotic, but us unrelated to the transitions.

> I notice a function... convertToMachineCodeFrame: cogMethod bcpc:

Now you're talking :-).  The interpreter jits an interpreted method that
contains a loop by counting backward branches and jitting by default on the
20th iteration.

--
best, Eliot