[Vm-dev] Methods with more than 15 args sketch

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:18:09 UTC 2016

Hi Tim,

> On Jun 16, 2016, at 8:57 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

> Regardless of any particular design ideas to implement this, I’d just like to say.. No.
> Nononono.
> Bad design to use huge parameter lists. What next - allowing 1 billion arguments for someone that thinks each pixel in a large bitmap needs to be an argument?

This sometimes comes up in a porting project.  It's not that one wants to support this its that one has to if the port is to proceed simply.  Better to have a simple solution (look ma, no VM changes!!) than rewrite the daft automatic code generator that creates these monstrosities, or worse still complicate the VM (eg adding extension bytes to the method header so that all fetching of method numArgs is more complex).