[Vm-dev] Re: git mavens, shortcut please?

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 16:04:28 UTC 2016

git commit -a

will add all the modified files and open an editor where you can write the
commit message. Once the editor exits it git will complete the commit.

git commit -am"Here is my commit message"

will add all modified files to the commit, make the commit message 'Here is
my commit message' and then commit.

To configure a specific editor (e.g. emacs, vim,  textmate) that can be used
when writing lengthier commit messages by one time per computer running

git config --global core.editor "emacsclient"

Eliot Miranda-2 wrote