[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: System and user processe

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:37:04 UTC 2016

>> Hmm... I would implement such an API rather via composition than
>> inheritance. Such a task does not necessarily have to run in the same image
>> but could also be accomplished on another machine. OSProcess has RemoteTask
>> for this. Inheritance would make things complicated once one would decide to
>> not carry out the computation as a Squeak process.

It is implemented via composition, not inheritance.

Maybe it is name, ClientProcess, that made you assume it is a subclass
of Process..?  It is not.  :)

>> I do like Tony's idea of process groups. We could think this one step
>> further an add multiple tags (symbols?) to processes to support
>> fine-granular or cross-cutting classifications.
> >Tools like the process
>> browser could show these tags, group by them, etc. There could be tags to
>> identify processes that would stop working once you close the Squeak image
>> (e.g. "not resumable")... Hmmm... Application developers could use tags to
>> provide hints for other developers and users.

Processes already have names, which could facilitate a hierarchical
naming if someone wanted, and list filtering in the Process browser
would make "grouping" or "finding" a Process pretty much free..

If all you want to do is tag and group processes, I would consider
putting them into named groups/containers rather than add more
process-level attributes..