[Vm-dev] The code in the src folders in the repository

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 13:30:23 UTC 2016

> On Jun 22, 2016, at 5:38 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

>>> and I

>>> Good question. Traditionally, Eliot generates these sources periodically
>>> and
>>> commits them to the repository (and in recent years I have done that chore
>>> for
>>> the old trunk interpreter VM). At this point, unless Eliot advises
>>> otherwise,
>>> I would suggest that no one other than Eliot should commit to the /src
>>> trees.
>> AFAIK the pharo-vm projects generates the sources from the VMMaker package
>> during a build.
>> Wouldn't it be better if the OpenSmalltalk vm does the same? Then no one
>> needs to generate source manually anymore and we don't have millions of
>> lines [2] of generated code in the repository.
>>
>> Fabio
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm
>> [2] see Eliot's stats at
>> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/vm/graphs/contributors
>>
>> --
>
> Yes of course it should be automated. My suggestion is that at this point,
> or at least until Eliot says otherwise, Eliot should be the only person who
> commits to the /src directories. One step at a time :-)
>
> And of course we can do whatever is necessary in the various branches.

Absolutely not.  For the reasons stated.  Those millions of lines are there for good reason:

Reproducibility
Comprehensibility

Optimising the repository for brevity is completely mistaken. That source needs to exist in a versioned form.  Now please can we stop discussing this madness?  I didn't simply choose to set things up as they are on a whim.