[Vm-dev] The code in the src folders in the repository

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 13:48:49 UTC 2016

Hi Fabio, Hi All,

> On Jun 22, 2016, at 12:51 AM, Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:
>
> AFAIK the pharo-vm projects generates the sources from the VMMaker package during a build.
> Wouldn't it be better if the OpenSmalltalk vm does the same? Then no one needs to generate source manually anymore and we don't have millions of lines [2] of generated code in the repository.

In short, we think nothing of burning pets cycles every time we make any change in the repository, kicking off many many builds.  We should think nothing of these few tens of megabytes of disc that keep a necessary record of the production VM source.  Reducing disc size here is a) optimising the wrong thing and b) optimising something quite cheap.  Both are cardinal errors.