[Vm-dev] The code in the src folders in the repository

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Wed Jun 22 17:37:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 10:02 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 11:11:28AM -0300, Laura Perez Cerrato wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Excuse me if this has been asked already or it's documented somewhere and I
>> missed it, but what's the criteria to update the code in /src, /stacksrc,
>> /spursrc and other similar folders in the repository?
>>
>> -Laura Perez Cerrato
>
> Good question. Traditionally, Eliot generates these sources periodically and
> commits them to the repository (and in recent years I have done that chore for
> the old trunk interpreter VM). At this point, unless Eliot advises otherwise,
> I would suggest that no one other than Eliot should commit to the /src trees.
>
> Dave

But...  its all one repository.  Everyone who works on the vm in their
personal space, doing a dozen generate/compile/commit cycles along the
way, and then finally submits a worthwhile change via a pull request
that is accepted, gets *all* their intermediate generated src added to
the repository.

> On 22 Jun 2016, at 12:52, phil at highoctane.be wrote:
> One could thing of doing a git submodule with them but it is more trouble than it is worth.

Actually this was exactly what I wanted to suggest.  That perhaps the
srcs live in a submodule/subtree,  that only gets pushed updated by
Travis upon a successful build.  That is, Travis would generate the
srcs, then commit them, and build from that commit, and only push that
commit back to the official repo/branch upon successful build.  Upon
failure the commit might be pushed to a "failure" branch for manual
review before later that branch is thrown away.

Having the generated sources in a submodule/subtree means when Joe
Public makes a contribution, its easier for only his changes to
non-generated code get submitted. Otherwise he need to manually back
out any generated sources for the last commit being submitted as a PR,
but that doesn't remove any previous commits.  Or \every time he does
a personal commit he has to back out the changes just for those
directories (??).

> I want to be able to clone the VM and compile it right away.

The compile script could pull the srcs subtree before compiling.  No
real difference in elapsed time than if the main repo was pulled.

cheers -ben