[Vm-dev] git build problem on Pi

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri Jun 24 04:16:14 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:56 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> > On 23-06-2016, at 7:13 PM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 5:37 AM, Bob Westergaard <bwestergaard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:54 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> > > What did I miss?
> >
> > I believe this can happen if you don't *first* run
> > scripts/updateSCCSVersions after you clone the repository:
> >
> >     https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/vm#important-notice-for-developers
> >
> > Regards,
> > -- Bob
> >
> > Could mvm be made to look for signs that this has been run and output a
> warning if it hasn't?
> > cheers -ben
>
> Better yet, surely we could run the damned command if needed...
> tim

Silent failures due to operator error increase the friction to people to
get involved,
and propagates the error handling to the mail list rather than handling it
locally.

But also see my other post "build products seem to go to the wrong branch"
where it seems *every* time you change branches you need to run ./mvm...
    ../../../scripts/updateSCCSVersions   #from the build directory
so why not make it part of mvm?

cheers -ben