[Vm-dev] Compiling squeak.cog.spur on Pi

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jun 24 13:24:59 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 07:55:50PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 23-06-2016, at 7:35 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 10:19:23PM -0400, Phil (list) wrote:
> >> {snip}
> >> Yes, I ran into it as well... the build is hard-coded to build for the
> >> ARMv6 of the original Pi. ??Remove the line with the compiler flags??"-
> >> march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard" in mvm. ??That fixed the issue
> >> for me for ARMv7 builds.
> >
> > Phil,
> >
> > Brilliant! I removed the -march=armv6 and it compiles now.\
>
> That is both weird and in some sense wrong; Eliot & I use the armv6 flag so far as  I know and don???t have this issue. I *did* have this problem a very long time ago though. The question is whether I can find any evidence of what I did to get  past it???
>
> First thing, try `sudo ./mvm`. If you???re using xrdp to connect to your Pi it makes some odd things happen to do with permissions.

I was working through an ssh connection, so sudo was not required.

> And as for why changing that flag should have anything to do with the problem??? frakkin??? insane unix nonsense yet again. Yup, the vm I built this lunchtime has the armv6 flag on. Built perfectly well aside from the sccs version number issue I mentioned before.

For reference, my /proc/cpuinfo is (one of the 4 cores):
model name	: ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
BogoMIPS	: 76.80
Features	: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0xd03
CPU revision	: 4

Compiler version: gcc (Raspbian 4.9.2-10) 4.9.2