[Vm-dev] Compiling squeak.cog.spur on Pi

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jun 24 13:36:26 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:52:48PM -0400, Phil (list) wrote:

> On Thu, 2016-06-23 at 19:55 -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> > ??
> >
> > > On 23-06-2016, at 7:35 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>
> > > wrote:

> > > Phil,
> > >
> > > Brilliant! I removed the -march=armv6 and it compiles now.\
> >
> > That is both weird and in some sense wrong; Eliot & I use the armv6
> > flag so far as????I know and don???t have this issue. I *did* have this
> > problem a very long time ago though. The question is whether I can
> > find any evidence of what I did to get????past it???
> >

> IIRC, it has to do with the build of gcc that is installed for (most?)
> ARMv7 distros. ??Are you and Elliot using an armel or armhf based
> installs or just the stock rpi install (which is ARMv6 hf I think)?
> ??Most of the ARM world (with the notable exception of rpi) is running
> armhf these days which is where the problem seems to be (i.e. I was
> able to build using the shipped mvm as-is on armel, but not armhf)

Also regarding the gcc version, it looks like the configure script is
getting rather old. I see this in my config log:

g++: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'

This apparently had no ill effect on the build for Pi, but it's important
because I think that the -V option has gone away in recent gcc versions,
and that is what prevented me from being able to build Cog/Spur on my
Intel Ubuntu laptop. I ran out of patience trying to rebuild the
autotools configuration, and that is what finally prompted me to buy
this Raspberry Pi :-)

So ... I think that somebody with more patience than me is going to
need to update the autotools build one of these days.