[Vm-dev] Compiling squeak.cog.spur on Pi

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jun 24 17:32:01 UTC 2016

> On 23-06-2016, at 8:52 PM, Phil (list) <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> IIRC, it has to do with the build of gcc that is installed for (most?)
> ARMv7 distros.  Are you and Elliot using an armel or armhf based
> installs or just the stock rpi install (which is ARMv6 hf I think)?

I’m using the stock latest Raspbian (as I have throughout the last ~4 years) and I’m reasonably sure Eliot is too. The gcc version currently is 4.9.2.

>  Most of the ARM world (with the notable exception of rpi) is running
> armhf these days which is where the problem seems to be (i.e. I was
> able to build using the shipped mvm as-is on armel, but not armhf)

To the best of my knowledge Pi uses hardfloat and has for a long time. Let’s see
`dpkg —print-architecture` -> armhf
So yes, hard float. I think this has been true since ~2013.

Several people have gone to the trouble of compiling Raspbian kernels etc with armv7 settings and found it makes no measurable difference, which means that it would be silly of the Pi people to split things - which of course they would have to do to support the several million older Pis out there. Honestly, since the Pi is probably the main ARM SBC by a very, very, large margin it would be smartest for everyone else to maintain sensible compatibility.

And none of this alters the fact the Eliot & I can build vms without making any arch setting change.

tim
Useful random insult:- Ignorant, and proud of it.