[Vm-dev] Compiling squeak.cog.spur on Pi

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jun 25 01:01:39 UTC 2016

> On 24-06-2016, at 2:27 PM, Phil (list) <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:

{snip}
> Yes, because the Pi Foundation is going to great pains (to the
> detriment of features and performance on newer Pi boards) to retain
> backward compatibility.

The technical group at Pi Trading (where all the heavy work is done) is larger and smarter than I suspect most of the world understands.  Some of them have been working with ARM for as long as I have. Um, which is just under 30 years now. Including using various unixes on ARM since ’88 or thereabouts.

>  The rest of the ARM world is the wild, wild
> west.  Different strokes and all that…

Yes, and that’s how we set it up.

And none of this is very relevant to working out why Dave had problems compiling the standard setup when neither Eliot nor I do, on supposedly the same hardware and (hopefully) the same OS/compiler. It’s also a bit difficult to see how an arch flag can result in complaints about 'C compiler cannot create executables’.

My config.log is a match for Dave’s reported output for only the first few lines, so something diverges very quickly. The build system and host system agree as armv7l-linux-gnu but I seem to have a check for the target system added. After that it goes differently. The check for the compiler version works ok, and then wher Dave’s fail I get -

configure:2266: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2269: gcc -march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard -g -O2 -fwrapv -DNDEBUG -DDEBUGVM=0 -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DI_REALLY_DONT_CARE_HOW_UNSAFE_THIS_IS -DUSE_MIDI_ALSA -DCOGMTVM=0  -Wl,-z,now conftest.c -lpthread -luuid -lasound >&5
configure:2272: $? = 0
configure:2318: result: a.out

So Dave, which version of Raspbian did you install?

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Illiud Latine dici non potest = You can't say that in Latin.