[Vm-dev] equivalent of svn export...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 18:08:34 UTC 2016

Hi All,

    I have build.linux32ARM which is full of generated crap.  I have
renamed it to build.linux32ARMv6 via git
mv build.linux32ARM build.linux32ARMv6.  So far so good.  Now I want to
clone the clean state of build.linux32ARMv6 (or of
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/vm/build.linux32ARMv6) to create the clean
state of build.linux32ARMv7. But I can't?!?!?

In Subversion one can extract a subdirectory of the entire repository;
great for Travis builds, where one doesn't waste time cloning the entire
repository.  Does git simply not support this?  I see
  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/160608/do-a-git-export-like-svn-export
but it doesn't appear to offer a solution beyond cloning the entire
repository :-(
best, Eliot