[Vm-dev] equivalent of svn export...

Jakob Reschke jakob.reschke at student.hpi.de
Mon Jun 27 19:15:55 UTC 2016

Hi Elliot,

as far as I know, git does not support cloning only part of a
repository (you can checkout only parts of it, but need to clone the
entire history anyway). However, I think these people have all the
answers for you:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7106012/download-a-single-folder-or-directory-from-a-github-repo

In short: Since GitHub allows you to access repositories via svn, you
can simply use svn export to extract a clean subdirectory.

Otherwise you would use `git archive` for similar tasks; it creates
compressed files from arbitrary trees (e. g., git archive -o
build.linux32ARMv6.zip HEAD:build.linux32ARMv6, where HEAD can be any
revision). git archive also has a --remote option, which seems to
allow one to do similar things like svn export on remote repositories,
but GitHub does not support that. See this answer:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/15983139/383568

Best regards,
Jakob