[Vm-dev] The four Andreas Tests for Interruptability

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Mar 2 19:37:11 UTC 2016

This is a follow up from off line discussion with Eliot.

In order to verify the operation of the low space interrupt handling
mechanism, Andreas proposed the following four tests:

   * "[true] whileTrue"
   * "[[true] whileTrue] forkAt: Processor userSchedulingPriority + 1"
   * "Smalltalk createStackOverflow"
   * "[Smalltalk createStackOverflow] forkAt: Processor
userSchedulingPriority + 1"

Each of these should be interruptable, and the mechanism should work in
both Morphic and MVC. When running on a virtual memory system with
swapping (e.g. Linux), the VM should be started with a specific memory
size, otherwise the system will bog down in swapping without ever
encountering the low space limit.

When we make a change to process scheduling, we would want to make sure
that these four tests still work (which might in turn require changing the
low space interrupt handling).

Background is on Mantis 0001041: [VM][ENH] LowSpaceAndInterruptHandler-dtl
at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1041, and Andreas' original
discussion would be on squeak-dev somewhere in the early 2005 time frame.