[Vm-dev] InterpreterSimulator

Florin Mateoc florin.mateoc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:46:48 UTC 2016

Hi,

Does anybody know the current status of the various simulators?
Even the classes are a bit confusing, since their class comments are just copied and pasted from their
siblings/ancestors, so I cannot figure out what is current and what is used for what.
Could some kind soul please summarize which images are supposed to be run by which simulator? E.g. is
InterpreterSimulator (and subclasses) still being used/working?

More concretely, I tried to run StackInterpreterSimulator on a 4.5 image, since it does not support the current image
format, but I keep hitting various errors. A particularly confusing kind is that NewObjectMemory refers sometimes to its
interpreter instvar, sometimes to its coInterpreter instvar (sometimes to both in the same method), even though only the
coInterpreter instvar is initialized. Does it need both instvars, and if so, what are their roles and how should they be
initialized?

Thank you,
Florin