[Vm-dev] InterpreterSimulator

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 17:02:39 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 5:27 PM, Florin Mateoc <florin.mateoc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 3/9/2016 8:23 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> >
> > Hi Florin,
> >
> >    I believe the correct fix is for  ObjectMemory needs to decompose
> fetchLong64:ofObject: into two 32-but reads unless BytesPerWord = 8.  I'll
> commit asap (which is once I have 64-bit small float tagging converted).
> But your fix should  keep you going until then.
> >
> > _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
>

> Hi Eliot,
>
> I don't understand how two 32-bit reads can take care of 5-byte long
> largeIntegers, but you know best (usually :))

Because in V3 any object occupies some number of 32-bit words, zero
padded.  So a 5 byte large integer is actually a 4 byte header followed by
an 8 byte unit whose most significant 3 bytes are always zero.  In Spur,
any object occupies some number of 8-byte words, so a 5 byte integer has an
8 byte header followed by an 8 byte unit, but a 9 byte integer occupies 24
bytes (8 byte header, 16 bytes data).

So in V3, fetching 64-bits from a 5 to 8 byte large integer must be done in
two reads because objects are only aligned to a 4 byte boundary, but in
Spur it can be done in a single 64-bit read because all objects are aligned
on an 8 byte boundary.

--
best, Eliot