Repository name(s) [was Re: [Vm-dev] svn git bridge? ...]

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Tue May 3 06:27:27 UTC 2016

Hi all,
On 03.05.2016, at 03:16, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 04:27:11PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> […]
>>> Yes, I know that the branches should converge again.
>>> But how does that solve the naming issue? Would the (Context)Interpreter become another flavor of CogVM?
>>
>> Yes.  Since it would be able to use Spur that wouldn't be theft, more an exchange :-)

[ Snip things I also agree with ]
> My hope is to get to the point where a working stack interpreter can be
> built from StackInterpreter and NewObjectMemory in VMMaker trunk. If and
> when that works, we would have a known good code base from which the trunk
> changes could be back-ported to ("exchanged with"?) the oscog repository
> for Cog and Spur.

I completely agree with that structure.

So my concerns about naming were about the Github repo, or better, organization.

I thought a bit and, hey, why not call it VMMaker, after all, its the thing that makes VMs and that name already does things.

Here's my idea:

/VMMaker/		-- Organization (still availabe)
/VMMaker/platform/	-- What now is http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platform or http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms/
/VMMaker/tools/		-- helping things, such as mkNamedPrims.sh
/VMMaker/Cog/		-- Well, what's necessary to build a Cog VM

And later maybe

/VMMaker/VMMaker/	-- The Smalltalk source as filetree

And maybe even SqueakJS, but that's up to Bert :D

What do you think?

Best regards
	-Tobias