[Vm-dev] Simulating the Cog V3 VM

Laura Perez Cerrato lauraperezcerrato at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:39:58 UTC 2016

Hello, everyone,

I've been trying to simulate the Cog V3 VM using the snippets provided
in the VMMaker image with no success. The VM seems to start up fine
until it tries to perform a full GC, which raises a debugger with the
following message: 'MessageNotUnderstood:
InLineLiteralsManager>>backEnd'

The image built using the provided scripts shows a lot of messages
related with undelcared variables and some of the snippets in the
different workspaces include unimplemented messages (e.g.
#removeUnneededBuiltins, present in the Slang test workspace, lacks
implementors in this image). I suspect something could've gone wrong
during the automatic package loading process. However, I seem to have
all the necessary changesets installed (telling from a quick
inspection of the repository using Monticello).

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the VM and have been
working on this only very recently, so my apologies if I seem to be
asking something obvious.

Thanks in advance,

-Laura Perez Cerrato