[Vm-dev] Simulating the Cog V3 VM

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed May 11 21:54:12 UTC 2016

> On 11-05-2016, at 2:24 PM, Phil (list) <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Chiming in since it seemed apropos: it's not by choice... not everyone
> has images that have been migrated to Spur (speaking as another Cuis
> user, but there are likely other images out there in the same
> situation)  So until/unless there is a semi-automatic means of
> migrating images as VM changes necessitate it, there will be a small
> population of users being left behind on older VMs each time there is a
> new image format.

Well, there is such a mechanism but it tends to get left behind. The SystemTracer is the all-purpose Scout tool for getting children out of horse’s hooves and converting images. It would be entirely possible to make a version to convert a V3 image to Spur;  it’s the way I would have done it originally if I’d been responsible for it. It’s… eek, 20 years since I last did a big junta with it but you’d amazed at the possibilities.

I’m absolutely not volunteering to do it. It’s a big enough job to do right that somebody would have to pay...

tim
Spell checkers at maximum!  Fire!