[Vm-dev] Simulating the Cog V3 VM

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue May 17 18:47:27 UTC 2016

Tim,

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 11:09 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> > On 17-05-2016, at 10:42 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > {snip}
> >
> > Being able to output an image in Spur format is different to outputting
> a Spur image that includes all the modified methods in object allocation
> and object enumeration.  I doubt that the system tracer correctly
> bootstraps a sour image if run from within v3.  I do expect it is able to
> trace a working spur image from within spur.  Am I wrong to think it isn't
> smart enough to bootstrap a spur from v3?
> >

> Yup. Though it *is* harder; you have to substitute those methods as part
> of the writing out. In general we’d compile the new methods under fake
> names (assuming it’s actually possible to create appropriate methods, which
> I guess may be a problem under some circumstances) and substitute them for
> the old versions, and of course, leave the old versions out altogether.
> Another possible approach is to rewrite those methods to work for either
> case, sometimes a doable thing.

That's not what I mean.  Yes, of course it's possible to bootstrap via
tracer.  What I'm asking is is has it been done?

Last time I had energy for the Cuis Spur port we got as far as doing the
Float => Float,BoxedFloat64,SmallFloat64 putsch (see
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image/old/MorphFloat.st)
which failed because of missing sport in the Cuis method protocol IIRC.

> tim
> Strange OpCodes: HAL: Murder Operator

best, Eliot