[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-rsf.1951.mcz

Ronie Salgado roniesalg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 07:53:41 UTC 2016

Hi Eliot,

  in the below you, Roni, added extBFirstZero.  As far as I can tell this
> breaks the newspeak (and Cadence (*)) VM.  I don't quite see the purpose
> of extBFirstZero and urgently need to restore the Newspeak and Cadence
> VMs.  So forgive me but I'm going to revert that part of the changes.  It
> has caused me to misdiagnose the problems with extPushInteger and
> genExtUnconditionalJump.  These I'll revert too.  If this breaks Lowcode
> then let's collaborate on developing a fix for Lowcode that doesn't break
> Newspeak and Cadence VMs.  But it's a priority of mine (they pay for my
> work) to keep these VMs working.
>
> This was a quick hack that I added to be able to encode unsigned values
such as 0x00FF . Since ExtB is signed, the sequence ExtB 00 ExtB FF ends
decoded as -1 (0xFFFFFFFF) instead of 255, which is the correct value, and
it is used by some Lowcode instructions such as pointer offsetting.

I am still trying to figure out how to move into the opensmalltalk-vm
branch. I have been using the pharo-vm branch mostly because the scripts
for making a Squeak bases VM Maker image are not working on my Linux boxes.

Best regards,
Ronie