[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] About ~= and ~~

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 16:51:24 UTC 2016

Hi Levente,

> On Nov 26, 2016, at 3:02 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2016, Clément Bera wrote:
>>
>> If the send is to a non failing primitive call, there is no suspension
> point either. So I don't think it would break programs.
>
> When there's a send, one can override the method, so the guaratee of no suspension points is gone.

Right, but as the doctor says, "don't do that". For example, provided that the method is only overridden in exotic classes such as proxy classes, and is not overridden for nil and things like LinkedList, Semaphore and Process then it can still be used without fear of suspension points in the scheduler.

And we can think of adding better concurrency control primitives such as a conditional assignment operator.