[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Removing most of the windowing code

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Mon Nov 28 03:46:27 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 5:01 AM, phil at highoctane.be <phil at highoctane.be> wrote:

> Ronie,
>
> Is all of this in a branch somewhere so that I can have a look?
>
> For cairo, I think that I can build it with another compiler than MinGW, it doesn't really matter as it just makes a dll (or well, I can just skip that and reuse an already built one).
>
> -ltro is the flag that makes the whole thing trips up in GCC5 and requires additional flags, but adding them just kicked the can down the road a bit further as they were still unresolved symbols. Need to see why cairo build gives that but seems a cairo issue that others are facing as well. May end up building cairo with the old compiler but this defeats the purpose.
>
> For VS2015, I've got it too and yes, the debugging facilities are much better, not to mention that the compilation times are much nicer. GCC is just dog slow on Windows compared to Linux. I read that it was because of sub-bar fork support in Windows.

Interesting to note Microsoft is moving to Clang [1] to replace their
C1 front-end, which should(?) make cross-platform with OSX and Linux a
bit easier. Anyone know if that means MVSC might be better to use on
its own than using MinGW/Cygwin?

[1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/21/microsoft_promises_clang_for_windows_in_november_visual_c_update/

cheers -ben