[Vm-dev] Removing most of the windowing code

Ronie Salgado roniesalg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:30:59 UTC 2016

> well, the problem is that we're in a bit more difficult situation that
> Lua.. in Lua there's no processes/contexts..
> and if we would want implement an external message send i.e.  send message
> - get result, things not so straightforward as in Lua.
> it's all because it was never designed to be run in a host environment and
> be open from that end.
> that's why it is much easier to implement FFI, that C -> smalltalk API.

Currently, I am going to focus on making a standard interface for
initializing the VM, loading the image, passing the command line arguments,
running the interpreter and shutting down. This seems easy to do, and it
allows me to unify the platform specific versions of the VM.

For more complicated stuffs such as calling Smalltalk from C, or a standard
interface for defining primitives in C( for doing things such as moving
unessential VM plugins outside of the main VM source code tree). We should
have a proper discussion on the mailing list.

My priority with removing the windowing code is getting OSWindow working
well in Windows. Currently it is having conflicts with the main loop
provided by the VM, which makes it unusable.