[Vm-dev] Removing most of the windowing code

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:49:17 UTC 2016

On 29 November 2016 at 19:42, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 November 2016 at 19:30, Ronie Salgado <roniesalg at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> well, the problem is that we're in a bit more difficult situation that
>>> Lua.. in Lua there's no processes/contexts..
>>> and if we would want implement an external message send i.e.  send
>>> message - get result, things not so straightforward as in Lua.
>>> it's all because it was never designed to be run in a host environment
>>> and be open from that end.
>>> that's why it is much easier to implement FFI, that C -> smalltalk API.
>>>
>> Currently, I am going to focus on making a standard interface for
>> initializing the VM, loading the image, passing the command line arguments,
>> running the interpreter and shutting down. This seems easy to do, and it
>> allows me to unify the platform specific versions of the VM.
>>
>> For more complicated stuffs such as calling Smalltalk from C, or a
>> standard interface for defining primitives in C( for doing things such as
>> moving unessential VM plugins outside of the main VM source code tree). We
>> should have a proper discussion on the mailing list.
>>
>> My priority with removing the windowing code is getting OSWindow working
>> well in Windows. Currently it is having conflicts with the main loop
>> provided by the VM, which makes it unusable.
>>
>> right, this main loop concept is a first thing, that goes in a conflict
> with host application, that wants to control what it wants to run or not
> and when.

that's why, for instance i was pursuing the idea of implementing process
scheduling in a language itself, leaving very small part of required logic
on VM side
- mostly stripping a logic that switches process(es) to specially
registered 'interrupt' process, when signal from semaphore arrived, while
leaving the rest of logic on hands
of image-side implementation.

--
Best regards,