[Vm-dev] reattaching a detatched git head...

John McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Oct 12 01:20:22 UTC 2016

you need to make a branch

 git checkout -b Eliot    "that will make a branch at the current
HEAD/commit point with any of your pending changing"

stage & commit any work to the Eliot branch

checkout Cog

merge Eliot        "To merge any changes into Cog"

push Cog back to github.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm stuck.  Don't know how I detached from the master.  I'm seeing this:
>
> You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
> changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
> state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.
>
> If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
> do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:
>
>   git checkout -b <new-branch-name>
>
> HEAD is now at ed4a499... CogVM source as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.1958
>
> I want to make this the new master, and then add a commit.  I'm stuck.
> Git mavens, help please.

> best, Eliot

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd
https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk