[Vm-dev] Nuking VM ImageSegment support (was Re: [squeak-dev] Daily Commit Log; System-bf.916)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 18:28:41 UTC 2016

Hi Bert, Hi All,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 2:55 PM, <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
[snip]

> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2016-
> September/068930.html
>
> Name: System-bf.916
> Ancestors: System-bf.915
>
> Replace VM-level ImageSegment loading with a Smalltalk implementation for
> old (interpreter-era) projects.
>
> Also removes support for writing segments.
>
> This overrides the Spur support introduced in System-eem.758.

 So one question is should we delete VM support for ImageSegment from the
Spur VM?  There's at least 1.5k of generated source for the Spur
ImageSegment load and save support, some 2% of the interpreter/primitives
source code.  That's a lot, and the code is complex and ugly.  If it never
really worked before IMO we should nuke it asap.  If it worked in some
fashion perhaps we can schedule its demise for the 6.0 release's VM.

What do others think?

best, Eliot