[Vm-dev] Re: Marking the Squeak 5.1 release

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 18:50:58 UTC 2016

Hi Fabio,

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com>
wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> I've created a GitHub release for 201608171728 (see [1]) which is
> considered to be stable. Feel free to add a changelog if you have some
> time. You can find all commits after r3732 at [2].

Thanks, will do.

> Is there any particular milestone for the next release?

Looking through my emails I see the following for Squeak 6.0:

"For 6.0 I'm hoping we will do

- the Sista bytecode set (with backwards compatibility support for the
existing set).  This gives us 32k literals,
- FullBlockClosure, which means I depended method objects for blocks, and
hence (slightly) faster block activation
- read-only objects and hence read-only literals

These three provide the necessary support for the image-level Scorch
adaptive optimiser.  This will be demonstrated at ESUG in Prague and
productized by next year"

Clément and I have already put the byte code set and full block support
into the latest 32-bit Spur VM source.  I should remember to put these into
the 64-bit ones too.  I think Clément has added read-only-object support to
the Pharo VM.  The Squeak VM will follow soon.

So yes, these three, Sista Bytecode Set as secondary byte code set,
FullBlockClosure support and read-only-object support are the major items
for the next release.

> Best,
> Fabio
>
> [1] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/