[Vm-dev] I want to add commit id to VM version

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:32:43 UTC 2016

Hi Esteban,

> On Sep 30, 2016, at 5:41 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> I would like to add also commit id to current VM version.
> We now have this:
>
> VM: 201609281647 https://github.com/estebanlm/opensmalltalk-vm.git $
> Date: Wed Sep 28 18:47:01 2016 +0200 $
> Plugins: 201609281647 https://github.com/estebanlm/opensmalltalk-vm.git $
>
> And that’s ok, of course.
> But I would want also to have the commit version (it makes easier some queries). Something like this:
>
> VM: 201609281647 https://github.com/estebanlm/opensmalltalk-vm.git $
> Date: Wed Sep 28 18:47:01 2016 +0200 $
> Plugins: 201609281647 https://github.com/estebanlm/opensmalltalk-vm.git $
> Commit: 09aaed https://github.com/estebanlm/opensmalltalk-vm.git $
>
> What do you think, may I proceed?

We discussed this at length during the summer.  I very much wanted this too, but it is impossible with git.  Any kind of change to the source requires a commit and there is no way of getting hold of the here t commit I'd during a commit. So one can only add an older commit I'd to the source, never the current one.  So what we have is as good as one can get until the git designers add some new facility.  :-(