[Vm-dev] magic decode for image files

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 14:04:41 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 11 April 2017 05:33 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Thanks, I added it to ImageFormat. One thing needed changing for 64-bit
> formats on little-endian, where the format number is written to the second
> four bytes (offset 4).

Is that in addition to the magic numbers in the first 4b? Then we need
to modify the match pattern.

Thank you very much. Each of these lines can be followed by:

!:mime application/squeak-image

or appropriate mime type for cog and spur. They can be used to generate
*.desktop files for launching the right VMs.

Which vm and base image do you use for your work?

I am on Ubuntu 16.04 (64-bit). Its squeak-vm package is very old
(4.10.2). I also have the Squeak 5 (5.0-3397) but that is also old I
guess. I tried buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh from opensmalltalk-vm git
but it takes ages throws up errors in ClassBuilder while building
SpurVMMaker.image :-(. The image got built but I am not sure if I got
all the stuff in.

Regards .. Subbu