[Vm-dev] patching vmmaker

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 04:09:34 UTC 2017

On Sunday 16 April 2017 02:12 AM, Clément Bera wrote:

> The main VMMaker repo is on http:/source.squeak/org/VMMaker, not on
> smalltalkhub. The repo is common with other programming languages than
> Pharo.

This is a relief ;-). I really appreciate prompt and helpful replies in
this list in spite of your tight deadlines. Thanks a ton.

> To integrate your changes into the main repo you may send a mail to
> vm-dev (in CC). If you plan to commit frequently in the VMMaker
> repository you may ask for commit rights on the repo. Alternatively you
> may hope that someone with rights will look into your changes. Any
> change that break one of the builds (including all platforms,
> programming languages supported, vm versions) that has no massive impact
> on the VM (performance, stability or feature) is usually ignored.

I expect to contribute to VM code (Slang and platform/unix code). I just
returned to this list after a 3 yr break and trying to reorient myself
with the repo changes.  If I understand right,

  * Mainline for VM Slang remains at the above MC repo
  * Mainline for VM platforms code has moved from
squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk to opensmalltalk-vm github and issues are
tracked in this github repo.
  * squeak SVN now works downstream of opensmalltalk-vm github repo for
squeak vm releases.
  * pharo-project works downstream of opensmalltalk-vm github repo for
pharo vm releases.
  * Issues specific to squeak/pharo packaging should be posted to their
respective projects and mailing lists.
  * patches to VM platforms should be submitted to vm-dev for
opensmalltalk-vm and then squeak/pharo projects will pull them as necessary.

Regards .. Subbu