[Vm-dev] Cog Primitive Performance

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 16:09:54 UTC 2017

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:27:41AM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> comcastbiz.net>
> > :

> > > Hopefully this doesn't mean the primitive got implemented by actually
> > > doing these operations verbatim.  As you have probably seen, that
> > > convoluted arithmetic is done this way in Smalltalk only to simulate a
> > > 32x32 multiplication bit-anded down to 28 bits without overflowing into
> > > large integers (the original code from August 2000 had my initials).
> > >
> > > At a sufficiently low level such as C, all that complexity is just an
> > > unsigned multiplication by 1664525.  The image code should still have a
> > > comment to that effect, did it get lost?
> > >
> > > Andres.
> > >

> > More: if it's a 64 bit image, then we have 60 bit long unsigned small int
> > since 1664525 highBit = 21, and self is a hash result not exceeding 30
> > bits, we can implement hashMultiply as
> >     ^self * 1664525 bitAnd: 16r0FFFFFFF
> >
> > Maybe the JIT can be given a second chance too.
>
> AFAIK, primitiveStringHash has always been translated directly from
> ByteArray class>>hashBytes:startingWith: and the hashMultiply logic that
> we are
> discussing here currently is repeated in four different methods in Squeak
> trunk
> (String class>>stringHash:initialHash:, TypeString
> class>>stringHash:initialHash:,
> SmallInteger hashMultiply, and ByteArray class hashBytes:startingWith:).
>
> At this point, and particularly given the differences in various VMs, it
> would
> make sense to reimplement primitiveStringHash directly in
> MiscPrimitivesPlugin
> with whatever optimizations are needed (maybe differently based on size of
> small integers), rather than translating it from a default implementation
> in
> the image.
>
> Hi David,
My opinion is rather that we should get rid of MiscPrimitivesPlugin.
1) If String hash is performance critical (and it is), it's not really Misc.
2) Eliot's post shows that regular primitive invocation is slow vs modern
spur/jit, so it might not pay
3) other than that, we don't properly version control MiscPrimitivePlugin
source code
   it's not handled in VMMaker repository nor in one of the well identified
external plugin repositories.
   but it's spreaded over Squeak and/or Pharo packages, and thus subject to
uncontrolled changes and divergences

Maybe it's time to do it.

But I think we may be missing Eliot's main point. There is overhead
> associated
> with accessing the stack (at least on a stack interpreter) and in returning
> values to image, and this will be the case regardless of what calculations
> are
> being done in the primitive itself. So at least for some VMs we may be
> reaching
> the point where that overhead becomes a significant part of the
> performance profile.
>
> Whether that overhead would justify creating a new primitive callout
> mechanism
> may be another question, but it is certainly worth understanding where the
> overhead occurs, and how that performance profile changes as the Cog jit
> and
> Sista progress.
>
> Dave

Yes, exactly, but the new callout mechanism has severe stack limitations
preventing general purpose usage.
Concerning the specific case of hashMultiply, since it's just an imul and a
bitAnd, the primitive should be inlined by the VM just like other basic
arithmetic operations IMO.
So the remarks of Andres makes sense, even if we can't generalize to other
Misc primitives.