[Vm-dev] ImageFormat updates

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 21:12:27 UTC 2017

Hi Subbu,

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 9:56 AM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there an Inbox to upload patches to VMMaker for review?

Alas no.  Perhaps we should set one up.

> I generated a small fix to ImageFormat to generate magic pattern checks
at offset 512 also. I think some old Etoys images use this offset with a
launch script stuffed in the first 512 bytes. Is this deprecated now?

> I also feel 'unix' should be dropped from the method's name. file(1)
utility originated in Unix but is related to file contents and not to
kernel. It should be available for Mac/Win too.

> I have also attached the resulting magic file and a workspace script to
generate a bunch of test header files to test the magic file. e.g.

>  $ file -m magic *.image
>
> Regards .. Subbu

AFAIA the following never have and never will exist:

0 lelong 68002 Smalltalk cog64 image +C (%d)
!:mime application/cog64-image
512 lelong 68002 Smalltalk cog64 image +C (%d)
!:mime application/cog64-image
4 belong 68002 Smalltalk cog64 image +C (%d)
!:mime application/cog64-image
516 belong 68002 Smalltalk cog64 image +C (%d)
!:mime application/cog64-image

best, Eliot