[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Wed Aug 23 15:14:41 UTC 2017

> On 18. Aug 2017, at 23:56, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi!

> Are the packaging stuff in opensmalltalk too, or just in pharo-vm?
> It would be great to move all to opensmalltalk.
> What is specificity of pharo-vm repository now?

the packaging bits are in the pharo-vm repository only. What is pharo specific from a technical point of view is that I re-generate the sources before building the source package. There is a Makefile[1] that drives building the source package and the actual compilation is here[2].

I don't want this to sound offensive but the non-technical part is that it seems easier to get changes into the PharoVM than into opensmalltalk-vm. One example could be the FilePlugin and my attempt to use inotify without periodic polling (wastes power, adds latency and increases your bill in cloud computing, etc).

I am happy to answer questions about the packaging process or the OBS/travis-ci integration!

holger

[1] https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/Makefile.debian
[2] https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/packaging/pharo6-vm-core/debian/rules