[Vm-dev] build.macos32x86/pharo.cog.spur and dependency tracking

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 15:07:54 UTC 2017

Hi Holger,

> On Aug 25, 2017, at 7:42 AM, Holger Freyther <holger at freyther.de> wrote:
>

>> On 25. Aug 2017, at 22:29, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

> Hey Eliot!
>

> thank you for the reply.
>
>> Yes.  The extra output is due to spawning a sub make for each plugin and/or to check that each support library is built.
>
> I have not looked at the specific Makefile but how far away is the dependency tracking from something like that.
>
> PluginFoo.so: first.o second.o
>    $(LINK)
>
> -include first.o.deps    (to track header dependencies)?
> -include second.o.deps

A fair distance away :-). Each plugin and its support files get built with a separate make step which allows an external plugin to specify additional support libraries, include paths, etc.

>>> Can this to be improved? No output and 1s?
>>
>> Maybe it can.  But if that spawn was silent it might be more confusing to solve errors and it might be more difficult to figure out how to spawn a sub make.  But feel free to alter it.
>
> The turn-a-round time would be more important than the output but I feel that there is a reltionship. I will have a look.

You could modify the mvm script to just log output and not send it to the console.  That might speed things up.  Then if there are errors the script could output the log files.