[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Problem with OSSubprocess / signals / heartbeat ?

Petr Fischer petr.fischer at me.com
Fri Feb 24 06:56:15 UTC 2017

> Hi!
>
> > Now, this heartbeat threaded VM is the recommended in the README file, and we see that OSSubprocess generates the exact issue stated. The main problem remains for the moment since Pharo's default download includes not this VM but the itimer one. I talked with Esteban about it and he was aware of these two VM flavours, and the reason why we are using the itimer one is the need to deploy those permission files in /etc, which makes installation a bit less automatic.
>
> It is not a matter of configuration, e.g. more infrastructure is migrated into docker containers (I run the CI with docker containers) and even as root inside the container you might not be allowed to use realtime priority. And you might not be able to influence how your container is being executed.

Also in FreeBSD, vm with heartbeat thread can't be run in jails (secured chroot sandboxes) even as root and also on main FreeBSD system, vm can't be run as normal user, only as root :( I did not find the solution, how to allow real time priority threads for vm process on FreeBSD. I tested linux vm (pharo, oscog) with linux compatibilty layer on FreeBSD + CentOS 7 userland (I am not able to compile native vm under FreeBSD).

pf