[Vm-dev] libtool unrecognized option `--preserve-dup-deps'

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 01:46:42 UTC 2017

Hi Holger, Hi Linux/unix build people

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 3:22 AM, Holger Freyther <holger at freyther.de> wrote:

> > On 19 Feb 2017, at 17:09, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
> >

> > I hit a snag building pharo debug VM...
>

> > By doing... $ sudo chattr +i libtool
> >
> > I found libtool was created by configure...
> >   rm: cannot remove 'libtool': Operation not permitted
> >   chmod: changing permissions of 'libtool': Operation not permitted
> >
> > $ ./mvm invokes...
> > ../../../platforms/unix/config/configure
>
> pushd ../../../platforms/unix/config
> make configure
>
> sorry about that. Normally one would not check-in a configure script (and
> related files such as libtool) and I thought I could avoid having to delete
> these files and just re-generate it when needed/wanted. I had to add the
> --preserve-dup-deps option to be able to link with newer libtool and didn't
> consider that the old copy of libtool would bail out with an error.

Then let's rewrite the system so that configure is always made, precisely
once.  We can arrange that there's a real configure (e.g.
../../../platforms/unix/configure/configure) which is invoked from
../../../platforms/unix/config/configure.  And we can add a check to
../../../platforms/unix/config/configure that will make
../../../platforms/unix/configure/configure if necessary.

Please, who will volunteer to do this?

--
best, Eliot