[Vm-dev] PulseAudio support not included in recent VM builds

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Jan 4 02:02:32 UTC 2017

Some more details on -
> On 31-12-2016, at 5:37 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

>> On 14-10-2016, at 10:23 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [snip]
>> So... I guess the /usr/include/pulse files must be there and the lib pulse-simple.a or .so must be there.  Maybe someone should update build.linux*/HowToBuild with instructions on how to install pulse development support.
>
> Just for fun I did an apt-get of libpulse… something or other on one of the Pi’s and tried a compile. It was a bit odd in that the pulseaudio stuff was built and even (kinda) works and yet in the config log etc there is no mention at all of it …
>
> So, the build looks like it is probably ok but the code may have some issues. The symptom I recall is that the first few attempts at making noises works and then it gets poor quality and then stops altogether.

I can play quite a few sounds with no problem and then after a while (*possibly* related to pressing keys at just the wrong time?) no sound but the system is otherwise OK. Then after a while it locks up the VM completely.

Turning on debugging printfs in the  vm-sound-pulse/SqUnixSoundPulseAudio.c file provides a minimally interesting log that finally reports
DBG: sqUnixSoundMaemo: >sound_Stop() (11, Resource temporarily unavailable)
though one must note that this DBG comes at the beginning of the routine and thus seems to require errno to have been set non-0 just before.
Attempts at asking Lt.Cmdr.Google for suggested pages mostly implied that that error message is rather annoyingly generic, though plenty of people seem to have seen it because of pulse audio problems.

Pointers to actually meaningful references would be appreciated.

tim
Strange OpCodes: NNI: Neglect Next Instruction