[Vm-dev] latest vm 64bits crashes my image

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 19:26:48 UTC 2017

Hi All, Hi Nicolas, Hi Esteban,

    ok, I see the problem.  It's a Slang bug. With current Slang and
current sources, turning off the remembered bit clears half the header word
on 64-bits.  i.e. setIsRememberedOf: referrer to: false translates to

longAtput(referrer, (longAt(referrer)) & (~(1U << (rememberedBitShift()))));

not

longAtput(referrer, (longAt(referrer)) & (~(1UL <<
(rememberedBitShift()))));

and 1U is an int.  No doubt this affects plenty of places in the VM, but
for now the first symptom I see is the above, when remembered objects are
scavenged and their remembered bit gets cleared.  I think the simple fix is
that numeric constants should always be 1UL, or 1L, never 1U or 1, but I
need to check the 32-bit sources too.

Anyway, we should be able to fix this soon, certainly before tomorrow a.m.
CET.

--
best, Eliot