[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Lowcode fixup (#111)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:36:25 UTC 2017

Hi Ronie,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:12 AM, Ronie Salgado <notifications at github.com>
wrote:

> Fixing Lowcode to work in 32 bits Linux, OS X and Windows.
>
> This pull request includes the adaptation of normal OpenSmalltalk VM
> building scripts to build some Pharo VMs with the Lowcode inline primitives
> in Linux and OS X. In Windows I failed to build a Pharo VM due to the
> dependencies, so I tested using a Squeak VM with the Lowcode instructions
> and a Pharo image ( http://ronie.cl/files/images/Pharo-lowcode.zip ).
>
> What is changed:
>
>    - More build scripts
>    - Fixing the LowcodeFFI callout interpreter trampolines for building
>    in OS X and Windows
>    - Some missing memory accessors.
>
> What is working with these changes:
>
>    - All WodenMath tests are passing. WodenMath uses the Lowcode type
>    system for generating Lowcode instructions at compile time.
>    - UnifiedFFI callouts using Lowcode (Need to install the Lowcode uFFI
>    backend by calling LowcodeFFICalloutAPI install, otherwise the SqueakFFI
>    backend will be used).
>
> Woot!

> What is not working(yet):
>
>    - UnifiedFFI callbacks using Lowcode. Crashing immediately in Windows.
>    In Linux, does not crash all of the time, which seems to be some difference
>    between the Interpreter and the Cogit

Can you describe what a Locoed callback is in relation to Alien callback
machinery?  Does the Locoed callback come in through thunkEntry or by
another route?

and below...

> You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:
>
>   https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/111
> Commit Summary
>
>    - I am adding some building scripts for Pharo with Lowcode.
>    - Newer version of the Lowcode callout trampoline.
>    - Building scripts for a pharo VM with Lowcode.
>    - Missing premissions from the latest commit.
>    - Oops
>    - I added the building scripts for a Pharo Lowcode VM in OS X.
>    - Oops, missing permissions from the last commit.
>    - Adding the generated Lowcode sources.
>    - Build scripts for the Lowcode Pharo VM in Windows.
>    - More building scripts for the Windows Lowcode VM.
>    - Adding missing accessors for Lowcode.
>    - Merge branch 'LowcodeFixup' of github.com:ronsaldo/opensmalltalk-vm
>    into LowcodeFixup
>    - Merge branch 'LowcodeFixup' of github.com:ronsaldo/opensmalltalk-vm
>    into LowcodeFixup
>    - Trying to fix GCC crash when building a Lowcode VM in Windows.
>    - Merge branch 'LowcodeFixup' of github.com:ronsaldo/opensmalltalk-vm
>    into LowcodeFixup
>    - Newer version of the Lowcode sources.
>    - Merge branch 'LowcodeFixup' of github.com:ronsaldo/opensmalltalk-vm
>    into LowcodeFixup
>    - Minor changes to the Lowcode build scripts for Windows.
>    - Merge branch 'Cog' into LowcodeFixup
>
> File Changes
>
>    - *A* build.linux32x86/pharo.cog.lowcode/build.assert.
>    itimerheartbeat/mvm
>    <https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/111/files#diff-0>
>    (37)

The build directly names break the naming convention.  Since the VMs below
are Spur perhaps we should call them pharo.cog.spur.lowcode?  e.g. when I
build immutability VMs I call the directory e.g.
squeak.cog.spur.immutability.  So maybe we can use some convention like
dialect.[sista|cog|stack].[spur|v3].[option1+...optionN].  Or, if lowcode
always implies Sista support then pharo.lowcode.spur would work.

> [snip]

best, Eliot