[Vm-dev] Ideas on cheap multi-threading for Squeak / Pharo ? (from Tim's article)

Clément Bera bera.clement at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 08:51:12 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Ronie, you said:

*Threads are more useful when one needs high performance and low latency in
an application that runs in a single computer. High performance video games
and (soft) realtime graphics are usually in this domain.*

I know you're working with high performance video games. If you would
introduce multi-threading in Squeak/Pharo, how would you do it ?
Especially, do you have a design in mind that does not require to rewrite
all the core libraries ?

To sum-up previous mails:

1) There's this idea of having a multiple images communicating together,
each image on a different VM, potentially 1 native thread per image. I
think there is work on-going in this direction through multiple frameworks.
With a minimal image and a minimal VM, the cost of the pair image+VM
remains quite cheap, already today <15Mb for the pair is possible. I
believe this idea is great but does not solve entirely the problem.

2) Levente's idea is basically to share objects between images, the shared
objects being read-only and lazily duplicated to worker images upon
mutation to have low-memory footprint images on the same VM. I like the
idea, I was thinking of stopping threads to mutate shared objects and to
give the programmer the responsibility to define a set of shared objects
that are not frequently mutated instead of duplication, and go later in the
direction of shared writable memory.

3) Ben's idea is to create a process in a new thread that cannot mutate
objects in memory. I have issues with this design because each worker
thread as you say have to work only with the stack, hence they cannot
allocate objects, hence they cannot use closures.

4) I need to look into the Roar VM project again and Dave Ungar's work on
multithreaded Smalltalk. I should contact again Stefan Marr I guess.

5) I didn't mention it earlier, but there's Eliot's work on ThreadedFFI to
use multiple native threads when using FFI. It also solves part of the
multi-threading problem.

Thanks for sharing ideas.