[Vm-dev] Android VM threaded

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Thu Jul 6 04:57:44 UTC 2017

Hi Michael,

This is amazingly good timing.  I have an immediate, urgent need for Pharo
on Android.  I understand the graphics might not quite be there, but the
potential is enticing.  Could I possibly get on a Discord chat and/or Skype
with you?

I'm in the middle of a two week hackathon and needing an Android phone to
listen to Bluetooth GAP advertisements from a Raspberry Pi transmitting its
GPS coordinates, and then drawing a simple graphic showing the relative
location of the transmitter and the phone.  I've had minor success with...
   https://hackaday.io/project/10314-raspberry-pi-3-as-an-
eddystone-url-beacon
using Nicolas Bridoux's "Beacon Scanner" on my Android phone.
   https://github.com/Bridouille/android-beacon-scanner

What chance do you think a Pharo image has of receiving such events?  I'm
about six hours old with Android Studio, done the FirstApp tutorial (
https://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/index.html)
and right now working through the Graphics/Aninamation tute (
https://developer.android.com/training/building-graphics.html)  but much
rather be working in Pharo.

The benefit for the community is I get to promote Pharo to BHP's new formed
Technology group.  BHP are a fortune 500 company putting on ~2000 people
globally to work on Industrial Internet Of Things.  There are some really
interesting graphs in this video...
https://unearthed.solutions/digital-tribes-perth/

Even if the hackthon is too time constrained to get something working, I
hope to be able to follow up with BHP to demonstrate Pharo and seek their
support for it.

What timezone are you?  I'm GMT+8, but I'm a night owl happy to work around
the clock.

cheers -ben

Skype: Ben Coman, Collie, (Western) Australia.