[Vm-dev] Travis CI Update: Trusty as default Linux is coming

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 15:28:47 UTC 2017

Hi Fabio,

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 06:16:58AM +0000, Fabio Niephaus wrote:
> FYI: https://blog.travis-ci.com/2017-07-11-trusty-as-default-linux-is-coming
>
> We currently still use Precise to build OSVM on Linux.
> I hope migrating to Trusty won't cause any problems for us...
>
> Fabio

I assume that the move to a newer OS will mean testing with a newer
version of gcc (4.6.3 seems to be the current default).

The good news is that a few people have tested building the VM with gcc
4.8.x (4.8.5 in my case).

However moving to Trusty also means that when Ubuntu 18.04 is released
in less than a year it will most likely be difficult for anyone
upgrading to get access to gcc 4.8.5, since 5.4 is the release used in
16.04.

Would it be possible to move straight to Xenial (16.04)?

Thanks,
Alistair