[Vm-dev] instantiateClass:indexableSize: upper limit?

Tom Beckmann tomjonabc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 19:51:05 UTC 2017

Thanks a lot for the hints and the in-depth explanation!

Is there a best practice on how to deal with my scenario in the most
elegant way? Inside the primitive call I learn how much memory I need and
get the pointer to it. Calculating the size ahead of time is unfortunately
not possible. So in order to allocate the memory in squeak, I would have to
return the pointer from the primitive, right? Do I simply place it in an
integer or is there a dedicated data structure? Or do I have to go all the
way and return a handle that only lives for the duration of the two
primitive calls?

I second what Jakob said very much. I really like the HelpBrowser approach
and its possibility to just place do-it-able code inside it. Having a
chapter on the very basics of plugin building would be awesome (like e.g.
explaining what all the push/popRemappableOop stuff is all about).

Thanks again!
Tom