[Vm-dev] Unix heartbeat thread vs itimer

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 06:48:19 UTC 2017

Hi Fabio,

> [...]
>> a) a read-modify-write cycle for a counter is in itself very expensive in a high-frequency operation like building a frame
>> b) in normal operation the counter causes far too many check-fore-event calls
>> c) in abnormal operation the counter causes infrequent check-fore-event calls
>>
>> One solution on Unix is an interval timer (which my old BrouHaHa VMs used, but it did;t have much of an FFI so the problems it caused weren't pressing).
>>
>> The natural solution is a heartbeat thread, and this is used in a number of VMs.  One gets a regular event check frequency at very low cost.  In Smalltalk VMs which do context-to-stack mapping it is natural to organize the stack as a set of pages and hence to have frame building sends check a stack limit (guarding the end of the page).  The heartbeat simply sets the stack limit to the highest possible address to cause a stack limit check failure on the next send, and the stack check failure code checks if the stack limit has been set to the highest dress and calls the event check instead of handling the stack page overflow.  In the HotSpot Java VM, if the platform supports it, a frame building send writes a byte to a guard page.  Modern professors have write buffers so the write has very low cost (because it is never read) and is effectively free.  So the heartbeat changes the guard page's permissions to take away write permission and cause an exception.  The exception handler then checks and causes the VM to check for events.  For this to work, all of writes, removing and setting page write permissions and handling exceptions must be sufficiently cheap.  Anyone looking for a low-level project for the Cog VM could take a look at this mechanism.  I've chosen to stick with the simple stack limit approach.
>
> And thanks for all this info. I didn't really know much about the itimer vs heartbeat thread topic TBH. I was just surprised that this is so complicated, because I thought that event handling would be relatively easy. However, I still don't completely understand why other applications (e.g. games) don't have these event problems, but that's something I can look into myself this weekend :)

Forgive me; I missed this excellent question.  I don't know if I'm correct but I presume the the reason a game application has no difficulties like this is that it can include an explicit poll for events as part of its main loop.  While a game may be quite complex with many moving parts it's overall architecture is quite simple.  It is a loop, advancing a model, rendering the model, and polling for events.

A Smalltalk vm, like a real processor, is a compute engineer me that goes whatever it is told, which may include being told to do nothing but execute code, but it must still be able to receive interrupts, even when running at full tilt performing nothing but calculations.

If one wants the Smalltalk vm to run suboptimally one will arrange that as part of its normal execution (e.g. on method activations) it will burn some cycles deciding if it should poll for events, e.g. decrenentung a counter.  But as I explained elsewhere this has problems.  If method invocation frequency falls, e.g. as a side effect of invoking long-running primitives, then it may poll for events too infrequently.

If however, one wants the Smalltalk vm to run optimally, one wants the event check to occur at regular intervals, without slowly Ng down Smalltalk execution, hence either the itimer interrupt or the heartbeat thread.

Does this make things clearer?

> Fabio

Eliot